Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Food, mk.2

Yes, another food post. I thought about fitting it in the one below (which you ought to read before this one if you haven't already), but that would have set a new record, so here it is.

Shushu is a food guru. I mean it. The food I've eaten here has blown me away. Totally different from any Chinese food I've ever had in the states. What I've learned is that the Chinese food we imagine in the little cardboard fold-up box is generally Shanghainese cuisine: lots of rice, lots of sweet meats. Beijing cuisine has more bread, more noodles, and tons of vegetables. I told him in broken Chinese the first night that I wanted him to teach me how to cook Chinese food. And he's gladly obliged. Here's the short list of works so far, and a picture to go with:

Liangcai: It's all sorts of squash, carrots and cucumbers thinly sliced, briefly blanched in oil and water and then put in a bowl with a sugar and vinegar dressing. It's topped by these really spicy peanuts the likes of which I have never tasted.

Chao Cai Hua: Chao means to fry. And Cai Hua is cauliflower. Put cauliflower in a wok with pork, oil, salt, ginger, and small red onion, and you're ready to go.

Meatball Soup: Ok. That's not the Chinese name. But it's still super tasty. You beat the crap out of some pork, and stir it with chopsticks while adding water until it forms a meat goo. Bear with me. Add chopped scallions, salt, and garlic to the goo and let sit. Meanwhile, put water on the boil and add salt and quite a bit of chopped cilantro. Once it's to a rolling boil, take spoonfuls of the pork goo and plop them into the boiling water. If you do it right, they form perfect little meat spheres in the water, which then becomes your soup. This dish has a really light, fresh flavor (due to the cilantro) which cuts the greasiness of the pork really well. This is a favorite.

Qie zi: Translates to eggplant. You have not eaten eggplant until you've had it in Chinese food. Seriously, fried in a wok with potatoes and onions, it's a nice, hearty (albeit somewhat greasy) part of the meal.

Bean soup: This was a strange one, but it's grown on me. In the morning, shushu takes all sorts of little beans, washes them, and puts them in a covered pot. They soften for the whole day, and then you eat them, water and all. Though bland-sounding, it functions like rice does in other meals; as a filling dish that gives you a break from all the rich flavors of the 'side' dishes.

Usually we make three or four dishes for dinner, including the filler dish of rice, beans, and/or bread. The eating style is cool, too. The dishes are brought out to the coffee table in the living room, and, with chopsticks or spoons in hand, we have at the communal dishes.

After about a half hour to forty-five minutes, he leans over and asks, "Chi bao le, ma?", which means "You full?" To which I respond, "Chi bao le!", which translates to, "Yes, I'm full.", but my tone of voice implies more of a "Christ, yes. If I eat one more grain of rice, I will explode." At this point, he grins, and triumphantly exclaims, "Chi bao le!" He too is full, and freakin' satisfied about it.

This house rocks. Go food.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling us about your new family! Be sure to thank them from me for taking such good care of you. Especially with food. :)

    I know you can handle the academic part. You are as well prepared for this challenge as any American student can be. Hang in there. You can do it!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emersion in food. That's close to your native tongue. The presentation is really nice...I would sure like to taste it! Do know that you will be cooking when you return for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^ Your descriptions of food and your host family made me smile! (And... now that it's about lunch time, incredibly hungry! << haha... the food, not the family)
    I'm glad they're feeding you well! I look forwards to hearing about more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie, you have an engaging style of descriptive writing :) Your words bring a vision of you writing these posts with a smile and a rub of your belly. Enjoy your luck with a rockin' family situation - you gotta love it.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm already starting to plan a feast when you are back in FC. You just tell me the time and the ingredients, and I'll do the shopping and set up the table. You'll do the cooking, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you have to cook for me when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To all those interested food when I get back; count on it. It's gotten me paying particularly close attention to every detail when he makes a dish. The great thing is, these dishes serve at least three people, and no dish takes more than 15 minutes to make. It's so fast!

    ReplyDelete