Sunday, August 23, 2009

Welcome to China

First post from China!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get this post in. Blogger, Facebook and Twitter are among the casualties from censorship here. Turns out, however, that a good VPN client can get you around it... :)

The flight in wasn't too bad at all, despite some delays. Got held up in LAX for two hours longer than expected, and when we arrived in Shanghai (a quick stop-over on the way to Beijing), we got held up for another three. These delays, however, did give me the opportunity to meet some great people. The woman on the left is Debbie Tao. She just got her MBA, and was headed back from vacation in the United States when we met. She lives in Beijing, somewhat close to my university. She gave me lots of good insight into where I might want to travel between semesters this winter. The fellow on the right is Wang Baiyu. He's 15, and was on his way back from vacation in the United States in celebration of his graduation from junior high school. He and I had a nice long conversation about Chinese internet culture and gaming. Our conversation on this topic led me to sing Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" in the middle of a crowded Chinese airport. It turns out that the Chinese internet literati are indeed familiar with the Art of RickRolling.

I'm really glad to have met these two. Meeting such friendly and helpful people seems like an auspicious start to this project.

I'm off to lunch now, so the farthest I can catch up on the blog is Sunday morning, but more posts will follow when I get back.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you had such a fortunate start to your trip despite the plane delays! :) Have an excellent day and I look forwards to hearing more in the future!
    <3 Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay friends and RickRolling!!!! when in doubt always sing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for updating us. Never mind that I had to find out by accident that you're able to post to your blog...

    Did you dance while you sang? It isn't the same if you don't dance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you put out to the world will come back to you 10-fold. Of course you met two incredible people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, and did you attach a photo with your written entry? If so, I didn't see it. You referred to "the one on the left" and "the one on the right". Should we look forward to photos on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It should be hotlinked on the "great people" remark. Let me know if that doesn't work, 'cus then I need to work on my html skills. In either case, the picture's URL is also here:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41822889@N08/3850425097/

    ReplyDelete
  7. " . . . Never mind that I had to find out by accident that you're able to post to your blog .."

    Geez, Charlie, you moved 5,000 miles away and you're still hearing, "You never come to see me,and you're looking thin, dear, have another latke!"

    We're thinking about you, Charlie! The world is your egg roll. Uncle Brian

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should have done your rap at the airport. Next time, put a hat out. :)

    Remember that I might come cheer for you if you get on a talent show on TV.

    ReplyDelete